There are a lot of factors to consider when deciding on whether or not to have real or fake flowers. We all want to save money when planning a wedding, but we also don’t want to take away from the magical vision we have in our heads of one of the most important days of our lives. For some couples they know exactly which route they want to go down when it comes to their wedding day flowers. For some, it’s not that easy. For those of you who are still in the deciding phase, here a few things to keep in mind when deciding whether to have fake flowers or real flowers at your wedding.
1. Fake flowers aren’t as cheap as you think. Although it seems Hobby Lobby and Michael's always have a 50% off all flowers sale, the cost still adds up. I think this is a misconception that couples think when they decide to go the fake flowers route. They think that fake flowers are going to save them so much money when in reality everything costs money. Just depends what the cost is worth to you. I have had several relatives go the fake flower route, and I have aided in the creation of fake flower corsages, bouquets, and centerpieces. To be honest I had a blast creating those fake floral arrangements and they turned out pretty, but they weren’t cheap. To create the bridesmaids bouquets it cost close to $200 just for the 5 bridesmaids. Where the average cost of a real flower bouquet for a bridesmaid is $50-$90 each. Not too far off from the cost of the fake flowers.
2. Keep in mind what you are getting when you choose the real flower route. Real flower bouquets are hard to replicate with fake flowers. Yes, certain fake flowers do look realistic but it really depends on the kind. Walk through the fake flower section in any craft store and see if you can tell the difference. The answer is you can. A lot of fake flowers have some type of waxy appearance on the stem, the leaves don’t lay as natural, and in some cases the petals appear to be an artificial color. Let’s stop for a minute and reflect. Like I said before this is not all kinds of fake flowers, but I will say it is most. Just be aware of what you are looking for, the style you are going for, and whether or not fake flowers meets those needs.
3. Bouquets and centerpieces are often a focal point in wedding photography and videography. How could it not? Flowers are an easy thing to capture that add a subtle hint of beauty to any wedding portfolio. The question is, can you do this with fake flowers and will it look the same? Unfortunately most of the time you can’t. I’m not saying it isn’t possible, but a photographer and videographer aren’t going to zoom in on a fake flower bouquet or put the rings in the petals of a fake flower. With today’s camera and video resolution you will be able to spot the difference immediately in a picture or a frame. My one tip for those of you who really want to do fake flowers for your wedding is to at least have a real flower bridal bouquet. The bride is the center of the day, and in her hands are her flowers. Know that they will be in many of your pictures throughout your special occasion.
4. Making fake flower bouquets takes time and requires a team of people. If you want to go this route then make it a fun occasion for your family and friends. Have a get together to whoever wants to join, have some finger sandwiches, and maybe even a mimosa bar. This does not have to be a stressful process, but remember that this will take time, energy, and quite a lot of creativity. A few things you will need: Wire cutters, green floral wire, green floral tape, hot glue gun, and of course your desired flowers. Thankfully, there are many guides to help you learn how to make fake floral bouquets. If you aren’t up for this process or don’t have the time then the real flower route is the one for you. Your florist will take care of everything and all you need to do is pick them out. Keep in mind what your time is worth, and again just be aware of what you want the end result to look like and determine whether that includes fake flowers or real flowers.
5. Last but not least, when making your final decision make sure that it is a mutual agreement between your fiancé and yourself. This occasion is to celebrate the two of you. If your fiancé says it’s up to you then weigh the pros and cons, do some research, Pinterest ideas, keep these tips in mind, and make an informed decision that is best for the two of you. Don’t make the final decision without the approval of your fiancé. If your fiancé does not care either way then great, but make sure you hear their input before spending your money.
I hope these tips help you in your wedding planning process and be sure to check out our blog on what not to do when planning a wedding. Also comment below if you have any questions for us! We would love to continue to help you in this special time in your life.
9/1/2022 04:06:23 pm
Nice article , keep it up, keep share such article
9/1/2022 05:02:54 pm
For those of you who are still in the deciding phase, here a few things to keep in mind when deciding whether to have fake flowers or real flowers at your wedding. Thank you, amazing post!
Leave a Reply.
Header Image: Zelia Zhou Photography