When planning a wedding, there are some things that are long-held traditions you might feel obligated to partake in. Well, I am here to give you permission to ditch them all! The list of wedding traditions from over time can go on and on, but here I have highlighted my top 5 traditions that you can skip entirely if you choose to do so!
1. Wedding party: Having a huge entourage of bridesmaids and groomsmen can easily be something you feel like you have to do. If you don’t care about having 10 people stand on your altar with matching outfits, then you do not have to have that. Tons of brides right now are opting to not have a wedding party and I think that is totally fine! That doesn't mean you have to spend the morning of your wedding alone – you can still invite all your girlfriends to get ready with you and make a party out of it!
2. Large guest count: This is something that a lot of brides struggle with. The feeling that you must invite every person who has ever been in your life to avoid hurting any feelings or leaving anyone out. Guess what, you totally do not have to do that! If your dream is to have a quaint and intimate wedding with just your closest friends and family, then do that! You do not owe anyone an explanation; it is your wedding and you get to celebrate how you want!
3. Bouquet and Garter toss: This is definitely a tradition that is quickly going out of style. If you feel awkward or uncomfortable with your groom taking your garter off in front of all your family, then just go ahead and ditch this! Sometimes, I have brides coming to me and feel like the bouquet toss would be a bust because they don't have many single people attending the wedding, and it's completely fine to not toss your bouquet. Honestly, most people won't even notice you skipped that little tradition.
4. Expensive wedding dress: A wedding dress is whatever you wear on your wedding day that makes you feel beautiful. It does not have to be a traditional white gown with a cathedral train that costs thousands of dollars. You can buy second-hand wedding dresses, shop retail stores, or even rent a dress from a previous bride! Whatever you choose, the only thing that matters is it makes you feel happy and beautiful!
5. Wedding cake: Having a large 4-tiered cake with sugar roses falling down the side will always hold a timeless look; however, if that's not your style, there are tons of other options you can have. You can host a dessert bar, cupcakes, candy bar, ice cream bar, chocolate fountains – the list goes on and on! If there is a dessert that speaks to you and your fiance more than a traditional cake, then serve that instead!
Whatever you do, whether you decide to ditch these traditions or stick by them, make your wedding one you'll enjoy!
Couples who like this also liked Are Diamond Engagement Rings Still the Trend?
Feel free to ditch these wedding trends when you book with Four Oaks Manor. Tour our venue and see if we're the right space for you.
Leave a Reply.
Header Image: Zelia Zhou Photography